Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Last Laugh


Bernie Mac wasn't someone that I followed a lot, but I was acutely aware of his brilliance and stature in his chosen field. I also found him to be funny as heck.

Today, the comic actor succumbed to an illness first made public just over a week ago when he was suddenly hospitalized with pneumonia. The world of comedy will not soon forget his contributions.

Even though I wasn't exactly a dedicated follower, I respected his talent. He sort of reminded me of another comic whose life was cut very short; Robin Harris. Mac's demeanor and delivery were all reminiscent of Harris, who died in 1990 at age thirty-six.

Back in December 2005, I was shaken quite a bit when the great Richard Pryor, a true legend if ever there was one, passed away after a long illness. I was a huge Pryor fan and his stamp and impact on the industry and our culture was sealed long ago.

God bless Bernie and his family. The rest of us will treasure the last laugh he gave us.

No comments: