Friday, December 26, 2008

20 Amazing Years on Top

CLEVELAND - Daytime television has long been a favorite of mine for one reason and one reason only.

The Young and the Restless.

CBS's flagship serial, which was created by William J. Bell and his wife and debuted in 1973, has been a constant fixture in my life since I was four years old. This month, the outstanding drama celebrates being the number one rated soap opera every single week for 20 years.

Sheesh!

The show has taken on iconic status in my own personal history and present. Bell, who died in 2005 created a brilliant masterpiece with indelible characters, many of whom have been on the show for more than twenty or twenty-five years.

Eric Braeden, the amazing actor who has portrayed impervious billionaire Victor Newman since 1980 is one of my favorites and is one of the biggest reasons the show is so incredible. Jeanne Cooper, who has played Katherine Chancellor almost since the show's inception is also one of the most amazing forces the genre has ever known.

And oh yeah, the writing is excellent.

So here it is ... I salute the show that puts a smile on my face every day. I salute my grandmother for bringing it to my attention as a impressionable toddler.

Ya know, back when I was young and restless!


No comments: