Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Seeing Michael Jackson In Concert: A True Thrill

CLEVELAND - Michael Jackson tragically never got to perform his 2009 "comeback" concerts in London's O2 Arena. But in 1984, the legendary entertainer toured the United States with his brothers and when they traveled to Cleveland, I was there to witness the master in person.

Talk about the thrill of a lifetime.

It was 25 years ago today that "The Victory Tour" wrapped up its two night stint in Cleveland's Municipal Stadium. It was a highly ambitious undertaking featuring all six Jackson brothers but of course, Michael was front and center. At the time, the ticket prices were the subject of much controversy and criticism as they were a steep-for-1984 $30 a piece. What's more, they had to be purchased in quantities of four which was unreal. Many folks paid the outlandish price largely because at the time, Michael was at the height of his mega-popularity. Indeed, the historic Thriller album and its iconic spawn of music videos were still riding a huge wave of unbridled hysteria worldwide. Jackson had also won a truckload of awards for that steamrolling era of brilliance and seeing him live in concert in the second half of '84 was utter bliss.

Even though I was just 7 years old, I remember many aspects of Michael in concert. I remember how electric he was on stage, especially singing the frenetically paced "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin." I remember some of his trademark acts of showmanship such as pulling his fedora down over his eyes as the bassline of "Billie Jean" kicked in, then tossing the hat into the audience for people to fight and faint over. I remember laser-like theatrics and his famous Jheri-curled hair shaking as he popped his head, kicked his leg and pointed his finger.

The man was always indelible.

I had the presence of mind to bring a pair of binoculars to the stadium with me to get a better view of Michael (I'm talking as though his brothers didn't exist). Unfortunately, my nearly 16 year old cousin snatched my binoculars from me to allow a pretty girl to use them in hopes of impressing her with his "thoughtfulness."

What a creep.

During the spring and summer of 1984, Pepsi issued limited-edition cans of their popular soda adorned with all six brothers' signature. I collected them heavily, and they became coveted artifacts from that tour. My grandfather became my hero (temporarily) as the tour approached. My aunt Trina won tickets to the concert which sent her into a frenzy, and she was a little unsure whom to give the extra tickets to. My grandfather, in his trademark authoritative voice demanded that I be given one of the tickets. "You know how that boy feel about Michael Jackson," he yelled.

I was in.

That was such a long time in the past, half Michael's life ago and over 78% of my life (so far) ago. In any event, I will always treasure that magical, brisk Autumn night a quarter century ago. I've said it many times and I'll say it again:

I love Michael Joseph Jackson. Always and forever.

No comments: