Friday, December 6, 2013

Loss of Mandela Significant Even if You Don’t Know Why

CLEVELAND - I was in middle school in early 1990 when I first heard of Nelson Mandela. At the time, his release from a South African prison after 27 long years was making international headlines.

I was forced to take notice.

Upon finding out that Mandela died yesterday at age 95, I didn’t cry or reflect on the man. I did, however pause and track down the details online. I never knew exactly what Mandela did for the world, but I do know that it was significant.

Yes, he was controversial. Yes, many people are labeling him a communist, terrorist and a racist in their appraisal of his legacy. But I still marvel at the substantial nature of the man, based on the incredible outpouring of grief in the U.S. for an African politician.

I know that this may sound irrelevant, but Mandela’s friendship with the Great Michael Jackson is another element that made him matter to me. MJ was a huge admirer of his, and was inspired by the enormous strength that he held his entire life.

A life that was full of adversity.

Back in ’90, I began hearing the word “apartheid” as a result of Mandela’s mission against it. As it turns out, he made a quest for racial equality one of the more pre-eminent themes of his life. That will always be something worth respecting.

Mandela was the first Black president of South Africa and was a staunch advocate of human rights. Having been bestowed with numerous high honors (Nobel Peace Prize, Presidential Medal of Freedom), it is no wonder that the man is as revered as he is globally. His accomplishments place him on par with MLK as well as President Obama given the exclusivity of the honors he received.

He was a true icon.

For those people who are not fully aware of Mandela’s impact, I will simply say that his life is very much worth celebrating, whether you felt touched by his efforts or not.

We should all aspire to leave a legacy as great as his.

No comments: