Tuesday, January 13, 2009

10 Years Ago Today: Air Jordan Flies Into Retirement...Again

CLEVELAND - Michael Jordan was very important to me, and still is. I cried my eyes out when he suddenly retired from pro basketball in the Fall of 1993, and cried my eyes out again when he returned 17 months later.

10 years ago today, Jordan retired yet again.

That's right. On January 13, 1999, the most indelible player in basketball history left the game on the heels of the conclusion to the controversial NBA lockout. He once again held a lavish press conference, this time clad in a black suit and again flanked by wife Juanita.

Jordan had led the Chicago Bulls to their 6th NBA championship just seven months prior and hit his legendary jumper over Bryon Russell in the closing seconds of that championship finale. With this retirement, that landmark moment was seen as the final punctuation to a truly storybook career.

I still blame that stupid lockout.

The 1998-99 season was delayed due to the aforementioned player lockout. The sports world had been abuzz wondering if MJ would return for a 15th season, since the 1997-98 campaign was constantly touted as his swan song. The lockout lingered into the new year, then finally ended a week into January. Jordan had been vacationing in the Bahamas and since that last championship had suffered a severed tendon in his thumb as a result of accidentally slicing himself with a cigar cutter.

The somber, dark tone and mood of the press conference coupled with the poignant memories of his illustrious career brought tears to my face as I watched on television. I was aware of the fact that Jordan prepared us for over a year for this moment, whereas we never saw it coming in '93. In spite of this, I was crushed. I remember being a bit stronger than the first time, but understand this: Jordan meant the world to me. So much joy he brought me and so many of my emotions went to him during games.

I was hurt.

The Bulls were dismantled as a result of this move by Michael. Coach Phil Jackson, rebound-robot Dennis Rodman and all-star Scottie Pippen departed, leaving Toni Kukoc to be the star of the weak defending champions who would finish the (lock-out shortened) 50-game season at a putrid 13-37.

Of course, Jordan stunningly resurfaced almost three years later playing for the Washington Wizards, but this 1999 retirement ended his historic Bulls run which is ultimately the true conclusion to his legacy.

Not to downgrade his time as a Wizard, though.

Nowadays, I look back on Jordan's breathtaking achievements with pride and nostalgia. I am also heavily anticipating his Hall of Fame nomination and induction this year, both of which have yet to be announced but he is a guaranteed unanimous, first ballot selection.

I love you, MJ.

No comments: