Thursday, December 24, 2009

2000's In Review: My Favorite Albums


CLEVELAND - My taste in music has always been very diverse. From rap and hip-hop to country and pop, I love it all. So, with the end of the decade near, I am submitting a list of my favorite albums of the 2000's. But ironically, that list isn't very diverse at all.

It's almost all rap.

Don't let this list fool you. I am not one-sided like it will lead you to believe. It's just that I only buy rap albums, but I actually love individual songs of all genres. One day soon, I will start buying the entire albums of the eclectic blend of artists that I enjoy.

Here goes the list.

  1. The Blueprint/Jay-Z, 2001: This album was such a huge deal to me, that when it was released on September 11, 2001, I practically ignored the horrific terrorist attacks on America. Instead, I focused heavily on getting this record, which to me is the best work of Jay-Z's career. Eschewing a typical rap album style, this opus showcased a remarkable soul and old-school flavor infused with twinges of modern pop and R&B. In the middle of it all was Jay-Z's incredible lyricism, all of which produced several stupendous tracks. His famous collab with Eminem on "Renegade" is present here, and helps to elevate this record to the upper echelon of the most classic hip-hop albums in history.
  2. The Eminem Show/Eminem, 2002: Most critics place The Marshall Mathers LP as Eminem's best album, but this record to me was better. Released three weeks before summer 2002, The Eminem Show was Marshall's 3rd solo album and wowed me endlessly. His epic lyrical dexterity, coupled with his outrageous humor and wit made this a masterful effort. When it hit the shelves, I was amazed at how many young black men in urban neighborhoods had the CD booming through their car speakers. The surprise was in Eminem's pervasive appeal in spite of his race and often unconventional subject matter. Somehow, he crafted a superlative record that showcased a burgeoning legend at his maniacal best.
  3. The Best of Both Worlds/Jay-Z & R.Kelly, 2002: Such a shame that this album never had a chance to flourish the way it should have. With the historic collaboration of the best rap artist on the planet and the best R&B artist on the planet, this album was beyond excellent. However, due to the child sex scandal of R. Kelly that surfaced at the same time as this album's release, The Best of Both Worlds was barely promoted. All music videos were canceled and Jay-Z began to distance himself from being associated with this masterpiece. Every single track was outstanding and the production was flawless. Jay-Z would later call the album "a wasted opportunity." I wholeheartedly agree.
  4. The Marshall Mathers LP/Eminem, 2000: After his breathtaking debut the previous year, rap music's angriest and most vitriolic man returned better than ever. Eminem's brilliant sophomore effort was met with extensive critical acclaim, but also repudiation from America's conservatives. In any event, his rhymes were more intricate, precise and menacing. Dr. Dre's production was perfectly crafted and his beats fit Marshall's lyrics like a glove. Songs like "Stan" and "The Way I Am" gave Mathers a formidable reputation as a master lyricist. But the way he conveyed intense personal turmoil and channeled it into polished art was what really made the man an acclaimed genius.
  5. Graduation/Kanye West, 2007: Each one of Kanye's first three albums could be considered his best. That's how good this guy is and he displays that brilliance in spades on Graduation. Nearly every song on here is single-worthy and practically was. For me personally, I get chills every time I hear "Can't Tell Me Nothin'" both because of its brazen honesty and sonic appeal. By now, West was flying high as an A-list record producer and hip-hop artist hyphenate and with good reason. Despite his seeming arrogance, the man is one of the most important figures in not just music today, but rap music history as well.
  6. The Documentary/The Game, 2005: The first time I heard this rookie effort from The Game, I was instantly awestruck. It was obvious to me that the man is a pure student of hip-hop music and has studied the giants of the genre meticulously. What results on this record is absolute perfection in spite of Game's obsession with name dropping rap legends early and often. The man was able to craft a record so good, that he could legitimately say that he was better than his label superior at the time 50 Cent. Of course, the belligerent 50 would never have allowed that which is one reason why The Game hasn't been this good since then. 50 Cent sabotaged him. Even still, The Documentary is a smooth and delightful listen.
  7. The Black Album/Jay-Z, 2003: By 2003, Jay-Z was considered a demigod in the world of rap music. With the release of The Black Album, that status was elevated even more. With Jay set to retire after its November 14th release, this record took on an even greater significance. But the bottom line is simple; this is a classic album from start to finish. Initially, I was unimpressed with the tracks which is nearly unthinkable now. But once I continued to listen closely, I was blown away. Amongst my favorite moments; "What More Can I Say?," "Moment of Clarity," "Threat," "PSA," and "1st Song." Jay-Z proved he was every bit as legendary as he told us he was on nearly every song. Thank God his retirement lasted just three years.
  8. Get Rich or Die Tryin'/50 Cent, 2003: I had begun hearing murmurs in the summer of '02 about this mixtape hotshot named 50 Cent. After hearing him on the 8 Mile Soundtrack that autumn, I was unimpressed. The hype it seemed, was grossly overblown. Then came February 6, 2003 and I changed my tune quickly. I was living in a semi-rural area at the time and it was stunning to see long lines of country teens in FYE waiting to buy 50's debut record. When I copped it and took it home to listen, I was hooked. In spite of the sprawling 20 track playlist, this album was simply awesome. The cadence of his voice, his cockiness, his tales of street violence were all outstanding. I must admit that the song "Patiently Waiting" featuring Eminem was a major influence on why I loved the record. Now almost 7 years later, 50 Cent still hasn't approached the raw brilliance of his debut.
  9. Chicken-N- Beer/Ludacris, 2003: What I loved instantly about Ludacris the first time I heard him was his enormous wit and sense of humor. This 2003 classic featured both of those attributes as well as a litany of excellent songs. From the rapid fire delivery of the record's intro and through hit songs such as "Splash Waterfalls" and "P-Poppin," this was the best album of Ludacris' decade long career. And let's not forgot the two hilarious tracks, "Hip Hop Quotables" and "Hoes In My Room." The latter features Snoop Dogg at his laid back lyrical and humorous best. Who could forget terms like "tupperware titties" and "booga bears?" Like I said. Classic.
  10. Invincible/Michael Jackson, 2001: There may have been other albums that were better, but for me, Michael Jackson's return to recording after several long years away was an important moment. Not only was it a comeback of sorts, but the music itself was pure ecstasy. I love the self assuredness and palpable confidence that Michael displayed on the opening song "Unbreakable." The first half of the record was filled with first-rate lush ballads including my favorite "Heaven Can Wait" which I dedicated to my girl. The music video for "You Rock My World" sadly ended up being, for all intents and purposes, Jackson's final short film. The only reason I didn't rank this album higher is because the second half of it isn't nearly as awesome as the first half. It also suffers from what I feel was Michael's obsession to top his own un-toppable legacy. In any event, this record will always hold the distinction of being his final studio LP. That fact alone makes it a worthy addition to my favorite albums of this decade.

No comments: