Tuesday, December 22, 2009

2000's In Review: Top 10 Moments According To Me


CLEVELAND - Hard as it is to believe, we are on the cusp of yet another decade which means an evaluation of the outgoing one. So since there are just 10 days left in Year 10 of the 2000's, I will issue the top 10 moments of the decade as they were to me.

Just my opinion, folks.


  1. June 25, 2009/The Death Of Michael Jackson: This event took place nine and a half years into the decade, but was nevertheless the biggest moment for me by far. I never knew that I was capable of crying so many billions of tears, but I did. Michael was more than a megastar, icon or figure on television to me. He was my father, brother, cousin, inspiration and mentor. The unbelievable and impossible horror and shock of that day still screws with my mind, but his indelible style, philosophy and unique genius will always pervade my own sensibilities and personality.
     2.  November 4, 2008/The Election of Barack Obama: I never thought it would happen in this century, 
          but it did; a Black man having a legitimate shot at the presidency and then actually winning it. I first  
          became aware of Barack Obama in 2006 when I curiously stared at him and his name of the cover of a 
          magazine. But it wasn't until 2008 that his formidable intelligence and steely ambition became evident 
          to me and he began his historic assault on U.S. history. I followed Obama's masterfully executed 
          campaign religiously, but I was totally unprepared for the tears I shed the night he earned the White 
          House. Even though I never experienced the Civil Rights Era or slavery, it was as if I had the same 
          sort of historical perspective as any 70 or 80 year old African-American. His acceptance speech was
          as transcendent as it was inspirational.

     3. September 11, 2001/Terrorists Attack America: It didn't matter to me much when it actually
         happened, but as the tragedy continued to unfold that morning, I became more and more nervous about
         what else might be on the horizon. In spite of my preoccupation with going to buy Jay-Z's released-that-
         day album The Blueprint, I fully understood that a major and horribly awful thing had been inflicted 
         upon our country. It was a day wrought with intense paranoia and epic sorrow for the thousands of 
         innocent people that died simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. One that I 
         will always look back on with more and more sadness every time.

     4. July 10, 2003/The Birth of My Second Daughter: The world didn't know about it, but it was a 
         major moment for me personally. My oldest daughter was 4 and a half years old at the time, but even
         though I'd experienced childbirth first-hand before, this was still a huge event. I attended every
         doctor's appointment with her mom for about eight months and that was enough to build major 
         anticipation for her summer arrival. When my child, Desiree Young entered the world at 6:24AM that
         morning, I promptly introduced my self to her by grabbing her tiny, clammy palm and saying to the 
         2-minute old squirmer, "it's nice to meet you." And it truly was.

    5.  October 30, 2001/Both MJ's Return To Their Stage: I called it "National Michael Day." It was the
         best of times for me that autumn day. My two all-time favorite legends returned to the public after years
         away. Michael Jordan, who retired  in January 1999 after a stunning pro basketball career returned to
         the court for his first game with the lowly Washington Wizards. Though he was very much past his      
         prime at nearly 39 years old, it was awesome to see the man back in his element. Michael Jackson
         hadn't made a brand new album in 10 years and his double CD from 1995 was half greatest hits. On
         this day, the greatest entertainer in history released what would come to be his final record, Invincible.
         Though many critics panned it, Jackson's brilliance was on full display on this album and even though it
         was an uneven performance, it was still a certified legend doing his thing. That made me happy.

     6. June 13, 2005/Michael Jackson Acquitted: I was so much on pins and needles when Santa Maria
         jurors began deliberating to determine whether Michael Jackson was going to prison for accusations of
         molesting a 13-year old boy. On this day, once the verdicts of "not guilty" of all ten counts came down,
         I cried uncontrollable tears of joy. I never believed Michael was guilty, but I know how vicious the
         media could be, especially with him since he'd been the tabloid's favorite target for nearly 20 years. This
         I felt would negatively influence the judge and jury and send him away for many years. Thankfully, he
         was exonerated but was never redeemed in the court of public opinion. But for me, Michael was
         exactly where he belonged; out of harm's way.

    7.  June 23, 2007/The Woman I Loved Said She Never Loved Me: I had been through many trying
         times with my fiancee and vice-versa. In spite of that, we always managed to emerge from each 
         challenge stronger than ever. On this day however, it seemed as if we had reached the point of no 
         return. After a disheartening and stunning metamorphosis by my girl, she capped off several months of
        shocking disrespect and callous behavior towards me by telling me on this day that she she "never loved"
        me as anything more than a friend. This was unfathomable given the fact that we'd been together for
        nearly six years of highs and lows. The next day, after having much time to think and reconsider, she still
        held firm to what she'd said. That was incredibly earth shattering for me and when she told me months
        later that she didn't mean it, it felt contrived. The damaged had already been done.

   8.   October 31, 2002/My Fiancee Leaves Me: I've had bad experiences with women and awesome  
         ones with women. But on this Halloween Day, the woman whom I was madly in love with and had       
         become engaged to just 8 and a half months earlier ditched me for reasons that made no logical sense. 
         Making matters worse, she shockingly cheated on me three weeks before -- all behavior that was   
         impossible to foreshadow given her seemingly angelic perfection and bucolic upbringing. In any event,
         it reduced me to a bumbling, depressed mountain of tears. The love of my life had left me. But she came
         back.  

   9.  April 16, 2003/Jordan Flies Away Forever: Michael Jordan has been one of my biggest heroes for 
        many years, so each time he retired, a bucket of my tears followed him off the court. When he played
        the Wizards' final game of the 2002-03 season in Philadelphia, his groundbreaking pro career flashed
        before my eyes on top of the tears. Hit with the realization that MJ would never again grace pro 
        basketball with his iconic presence, I was inconsolable for awhile after he waved goodbye to the game
        that made him world famous and insanely wealthy.

 10.  March 24, 2009/My Childhood Home Is Tore Down: This was unforeseen and very sad. The 
        extensively dilapitaded house that I was conceived in and lived in until I was 18 years of age was 
        demolished due to its very poor condition. It was truly the end of an era for me since that is the location
        in which that I learned to talk, walk, create and entertain. I fell in love with Michael Jackson in that house
       and watched the "Thriller" video for the first time ever in that house. I watched him dominate the 1984
       Grammy Awards in that house. Even though I moved out in the summer of 1995, my grandfather 
       continued to live there for another 12 years. During that time, I frequently visited the house either to see
       him or to just sit on the steps as though I was still a resident. Even during the final year and a half of its
       existence when it was abandoned, I still sat on its porch in spite of the boarded up windows and 
       overgrown grass. That house and I still had a connection.



No comments: