Friday, February 20, 2009

Barkley's Apology Was Genuine and Inspiring

CLEVELAND - Charles Barkley has always been a fascinating guy in my book. His legendary pro basketball career notwithstanding, I've long considered him to be amazing.

He took that to another level last night.

Barkley, who celebrates his 46th birthday today was arrested on New Year's Eve in Scottsdale, Arizona for driving under the influence (DUI). A subsequent test revealed his blood-alcohol level to be nearly twice the legal limit. The embarrassing incident led to his brief suspension from his studio analyst job on TNT. He returned to his chair last evening a very contrite man and issued an honest, somewhat emotional apology for his high-profile transgression.

"Clearly everybody knows I got a DUI," said Barkley at the top of TNT's pregame show. "That's 100% my fault ... I screwed up, I made a mistake, I'm sorry, I apologize." I was extremely impressed by his accountability and refusal to search for blame elsewhere like so many people do. He repeatedly made it clear that it was all on him, using words like "my screw-up" and thanking many of his friends who offered words of encouragement during his hiatus.

Barkley's candor was typical for him, but no less impressive. He acknowledged that many people drink and believe they're fine enough to drive but by drinking they could "clearly kill somebody else or [themselves]." "I could be a hypocrite and say I hope nobody drinks and drives, but, clearly, that's unrealistic."

Pure honesty.

I've been in Barkley's situation before and it is not pretty or fun. But just like myself, he extracted a huge positive from the situation and learned a critical lesson. He says he will never get behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking. He took full blame and put it in plain English that he made a huge mistake.

Even in the face of irresponsibility, Barkley is smart.


No comments: