Sunday, July 5, 2009

Michael's Autobiography: A Personal Obsession

CLEVELAND - I remember it vividly. Even though I was only 11 years old at the time of its 1988 release, I absolutely had to have this awesome book.

Michael Jackson's life story.

That book, an autobiography entitled, "Moon Walk" had been edited by former First Lady and then-current book editor Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis and it was pure bliss. Released by Doubleday, it carried a $15.95 price tag when it hit bookstores in the Spring of '88, a price that my mother felt was too steep when I begged her for it.

I needed that book.

I examined the book in the store with my mouth agape at its design and the incredible contents. Several beautiful pages of color photographs of Michael in various moments throughout his illustrious career. Remember, this was during the Bad era, and Michael was still just 29 years old. One photo in particular that I loved; Michael sporting a pair of dark shades and a red and white letterman jacket. The book's dust jacket featured a close-up of half his face on the front and the other half on the back. When the dust jacket was removed, the hardcover was revealed to have Michael's iconic signature embossed in a gold-tinged design on the front.

I needed that book.

Inside the hardcover, there was a two-page photo of Michael's "accessory table" complete with his trademark sparkly glove and several jars of make-up. The book, which ran nearly 300 pages in length was also filled with pages of black and white photos and offered a behind-the-scenes look at Michael's life. One of my favorite revelations in the book was his recounting of a phone conversation that he'd had with the legendary Fred Astaire the day after the famous "Motown 25" performance. Astaire was heavily impressed with Michael's electrifying dancing and singing and called the then 24-year old megastar a "hell of a dancer." Coming from the iconic Astaire, whom Michael had greatly admired and whose legendary dancing in musicals partly inspired him, he was blown away at the sentiments of the elderly man.

I needed that book.

When I found out that my God-mother had a copy of the coveted book and was willing to give it to me, I wouldn't and couldn't stop bugging her to bring it to me. It seemed like forever, but after a couple weeks or so, she showed up at my house and handed me the book. The whole thing seemed like an enormous event, and I promptly began reading it excitedly. I took that book everywhere with me, including to school where one of my classmates stole it from my book bag in the coat room. I was close to tears, but with the "detective work" of some of my other classmates, the thief was found out and I got my book back that same day.

Man!

Thinking back on those days, I gain a wide grin. Everything Michael did was incredible and indelible to me and I greatly appreciate him for all of that.

I just wish I could find a copy of that book nowadays!


No comments: