Thursday, July 30, 2009

Reverend Ike: An Iconic Member Of My Childhood

CLEVELAND - Upon learning of the death of Reverend Ike, memories of Elizabeth Young and my childhood came rushing back.

He was always on that kitchen radio!

Elizabeth Young was my grandmother. During the 1980's and early '90's, she "religiously" listened to his charged-up sermons on WABQ, a local radio station that carried many of her favorite church-style programs. Reverend Ike always preached about money and faith in God and how that confluence could produce true prosperity. My grandmother loved his passionate, vocal delivery and she would close her eyes, shake her head and lift her hands as his inspiring voice filled the kitchen.

She would exclaim, "Hallelujah!"

I also haven't been able to forget the phone number that Reverend Ike used to repeatedly advertise; 1-800-453-9000. It was supposedly the best way to reach him. I never called it...at least not for myself. I dialed it many times for my grandmother, though.

My grandmother always referenced Reverend Ike and often quoted his powerful words, and if you ever spent time around her, you'd become a believer. She died in the autumn of 1998, leaving behind tons of memories and an immortal legacy. Reverend Ike died two days ago at age 74. Coincidentally, my grandmother's would-be 80th birthday is Sunday, and she got a great gift early; the chance to finally meet Reverend Ike in person, in heaven.

She'll definitely get his autograph!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This phone number popped up in my head from something I heard on the radio 40 some odd years ago. Reverend Ike. So I Googled and came across your blog. Amazing how we remember these little things. You were spot on about not being able to forget that number... 4/28/2020 ELD.

Unknown said...

This phone number was ingrained in my membrane as a child. I had ti tell them stop asking for money. I'm only 7. Dang crooks.